"Critical Fault" printed on the screen

bummer. based on the table it seems like that means “Radio transmit hardware failure. We sent data to the radio chip, but it didn’t reply with an interrupt.” Which pretty much means a hardware failure on that board (do you have other boards that are not showing that problem)?

It means we sent a packet but never got the send-complete interrupt. Which shouldn’t be possible unless the radio is busted. :frowning:

In theory it is possible to fry the radio if you’ve transmitted with no antenna connected?

I definitely had the antenna connected. I have another one, I’ll try it. Strange though, It is connecting to my other radios and they are seeing it.

yah - alas though for us to know if the packet was actually sent we need to see that IRQ. I’m curious to hear what you find on the other radios. I don’t think anything in that test is board specific, but if it also says the other radio fails, I’ll take a careful look.

Been running for 72 minutes with no reboot which is definitely a record by probably 68 minutes at least… ever since I booted up the 2nd radio and they are talking to each other, it is happy.

I just unplugged the 2nd radio to see if it makes the one that was giving the consistent error a headache. Ok, 10 minutes later no error on the first radio that was reporting critical error 8. No changes other than I added another radio running 1.1.50 to the mix. I’ll post again if I can reproduce the error again.

Is there a trick to the push button on this little guy? It seems to want to reset it fine but I can’t figure out how to get it to advance the screen to the next page.

The Tlora do not have a next screen button installed. That button is the reset button. Some have soldered a button on pin 13 for the next screen function

1 Like

This post shows a button soldered on the board.

1 Like

Had a non-GPS TTGO LoRa32 board (TTGO T3_V1.6 20180606) that was running fine on 1.1.23- just update to 1.2.20 via the Meshtastic Android app and it’s now displaying “Critical Fault #6” and telling me I should post here… so I am! :wink:

I also hit “Report Bug” in the app, but is there another log or anything I should pull from somewhere? I might try flashing the board directly via USB to see if it clears the error, but thought I should report this behavior.

hi @joshuawhitehead,

(I just moved your post to this thread - see top thread for a link to explainations on critical faults).

CriticalFault 6 means the board failed to find the AXP192 power management chip. Which makes me think you accidentally installed the TBEAM version of the firmware. Because only that firmware has the AXP192 code at all. Can you double check that?

Ah, it does appear that is what happened. I remember having some trouble following the naming conventions with the earlier versions of the software as to which files went with which board type. It’s much cleaner now! Based on the dates it looks like I managed to grab one of the last versions before the “critical fault” messages were added.

Hoping to get to a point where I can a lot more testing and eventually help with the code, love the project, and thank you for all your work!

1 Like

Getting same error as @joshuawhitehead that @geeksville resolved mention the wrong firmware.
I’ve got the tbeam with gps but get the error on it’s firmware.
I installed firmware-tbeam-1.2.28
Out of box setup worked , then Android ota firmware update I think failed to phone sleep, second board I was able to OTA update firmware without issue while keeping phone from sleep.
The board works from what I can see, but the error is there still.

Is there a way to verify the firmware version currently installed, or clear errors?

Hmm, in the android app (on the settings tab) it will show the type of board firmware installed.

We added this test sometime around 1.1.50ish and I think it is a useful test because in the case of one of your boards I bet the axp192 really is fried (which can happen if a battery is installed backwards at any point)? Are you able to use the board though? The intent was that you could still do everything, it would just pop up this warning at boot.

With a fried axp192 there is no safety for the battery charging, (i.e. fire/boom), so at the very least I’d recommend removing the battery from that unit.

@geeksville I’d have to agree something is amiss, but it seems it worked when flashed back to 1.0 firmware…Gonna have to do more testing when i get a chance.
Did a distance test today with it as is
got about 1/2 mile suburbs before I hit a hill that likely killed it. base was on second floor window and mobile was on dash of car. Pretty excited so far. Gonna order another if not another pair so I can test the mesh and push range.
will update if I find anything

1 Like

yah - I bet if you watch the 1.0 build boot with a serial port (921600 baud) you’ll see an error message about “AXP192 not found” (or something like that). We were checking then, we just didn’t have the concept of fault codes or a way to show the user.

@geeksville I am having a problem with my tbeam and I am suspecting the AXP192. I saw somewhere on a spec sheet or something that the AXP192 has programmable outputs, I assume by I2C commands to the chip. I have not gotten into looking at the actual source code yet, and I would even know where to look for it, but do these voltage values get set by meshtastic code or does meshtastic depend on those values to be preset by the device? Could those values get lost out of memory and have a need to be rewritten? The reason I ask is my tbeam will operate only when i apply 5V to the 5v header hole (which is connected to VSYS on the schematic) but it will not power up when i only connect a usb cable or if i have an 18650 connected. I also see messages in the serial log that seem to indicate the main micro is talking to the PMU, messages like Detect CHIP :AXP192 and 00:12:43 763 [Power] Battery: usbPower=1, isCharging=0, batMv=0, batPct=0.
BTW Thanks for getting this project started and letting all of us enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I just found this library GitHub - tanakamasayuki/I2C_AXP192: Library to control I2C Power management. Is this the library meshtastic uses to read values from the PMU? I see (void I2C_AXP192::setDCDC1(int voltage)) in the .cpp file, so it looks like the regulator voltages can be set by a function call. :slight_smile:

The axp192 is completely reset and inited from scratch each time the board boots. I bet that the output rail for that 5V rail is busted in your part.

1 Like

I suppose if it is already destroyed, I don’t have to worry about destroying it more. It is just curious that the chip seems to be talking over the I2C bus and if it is the only voltage regulator on the tbeam the other voltage rails go active when 5v is applied. In fact I can power the tbeam on and off with the power button just as if it was running on the battery. I guess I’ll see about buying a few on eBay and replacing it. Thanks for letting me know the software initializes the device on boot. :+1:

New location for CriticalErrorCode definition.

1 Like

Hello,
I am totally new to meshtastic and my TTGO board. I managed to flash the firmware and connect my device to the meshtastic Android app. However, I have been getting “critical fault #6”. My battery is certainly in the right way and the device seems to be running properly since I can view messages and GPS location on the OLED screen. How do I fix critical fault #6? My antenna was also installed before powering the device. Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Like

This relates to a board that was expected to have a power management chip, but the microcontroller was unable to connect to it. Which board do you have?

1 Like

Hi,
I have this “Critical fault #6” error with T-Beam - V1.1 and “firmware-tbeam-1.2.39.06892c4.bin”

The logs are also strange, something is wrong with this firmware… wrong baud speed?, wrong naming?

Showing logs:
[00:44:43]_#j	gcgK5JaB!J5'%covߡJ2)bXs%[FsKBZNENANK(lOsK}FgDzgbk4sJ{_tshgogn'G'֡!B~Kζ&an5HbN!gLlC#C%	eBg}`'F-t%FSV'?8s(ݘec)9</ƵOM;FsJcKK	}uEgޮFB{{/my=ﵥ-?mׯ/Ow:ǯ(0Ӏ%FN8U}u(_UW]UݨUݯ]u_鯿S駩)j[)i鹩={{7߿{__m;{{_-￯}翯ﵭS}_;+_~}{o{ﭯ˽=߽{o=-篿{Kk_{ﯵ{ߩ￯e un  0 27
[00:44:43]_#j	gcgK5JaB!J5'%covߡJ2)bXs%[FsKBZNENANK(lOsK}FgDzgbk4sJ{_tshgogn'G'֡!B~Kζ&an5HbN!gLlC#C%	eBg}`'F-t%FSV'?8s(ݘec)9</ƵOM;FsJcKK	}uEgޮFB{{/my=ﵥ-?mׯ/Ow:ǯ(0Ӏ%FN8U}u(_UW]UݨUݯ]u_鯿S駩)j[)i鹩={{7߿{__m;{{_-￯}翯ﵭS}_;+_~}{o{ﭯ˽=߽{o=-篿{Kk_{ﯵ{ߩ￯e un  0 27
[00:44:43]tsJ 821600:2:5
Serial port closed!
[00:44:43]rstx(OROREE),ot0x SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
[00:44:43]configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
[00:44:43]clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
[00:44:43]mode:DIO, clock div:2
[00:44:43]load:0x3fff0018,len:4
[00:44:43]load:0x3fff001c,len:1044
[00:44:43]load:0x40078000,len:8896
[00:44:43]load:0x40080400,len:5828
[00:44:43]entry 0x400806ac
[00:44:44][D][esp32-hal-psram.c:47] psramInit(): PSRAM enabled
[00:44:44]_M	CbgKNKkB!J5E$`5bJcgjoBOB' GOHjWEN@cKFugƵ!9k)s'z1N!ϥ5eJjg9s'z1'qsO

1 Like