Meshtastic

Configuration options for specific usage scenarios

I’ve been a gotenna mesh user for nearly 4 years and have recently discovered Meshtastic. So far, I find the radio range quite decent and I really like the idea of a compact all-in-one device with radio, gps, usb, ble and wifi, powered from a single 18650 battery and running open-source firmware. Really great work.

There are still a few questions that I haven’t been able to figure out on my own, and I’m hoping you guys can help me.

Config settings for high-power scenarios

I understand the default settings are aimed at maximizing battery life in the default use case, which is as a personal messenger/locator device connected to, and operated from a smartphone. However, I’m not clear what firmware settings to configure in for stand-alone type scenarios:

• rooftop relay: connected to a good power source, no ble/wifi, no screen, no gps, just relay messages 24/365 to help build a permanent network
  • breadcrumbing: when traveling in LOS-denied areas, drop a few devices (no ble/wifi/lcd, gps optional) on hilltops, trees, tunnels etc to act as temporary relays, and pick them up (or not!) on the way back
  • gps tracking: ziptie or magmount the device (no ble/wifi/lcd) to a mobile asset and have it read and broadcast its GPS location every X seconds (or every Y meters, but I don’t think this is supported yet) for no more than 12-16 hours on a charge.

In these scenarios, the default settings are simply working against me! :slight_smile: What settings and/or compile options can I tweak to achieve more reliable behaviour in these cases?
I’m using the TTGO “Modle” all-in-one board.

De-googled Android app

The default Meshtastic app has some limitations, mainly related to its requirement of Google play libraries and other online services. Is there any alternative app, or alternative compile options for the default app, that allows clean offline operation, even on de-googled phones?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Like

For high power scenarios, there’s on the roadmap:

Thank you for the link to the roadmap, it’s really impressive but, while it’s certainly exciting to see what the future has in store, my inquiry is somewhat more present-oriented.

Basically what I’d like to know is: is there anything that I can configure, tweak, patch, define, comment out etc right now, to make the current version perform better in these particular scenarios? Grateful for any advice.

I’ve got a Galaxy S4 here running LineageOS without any Google services/apps, and it runs the Meshtastic Android .apk just fine. (I can’t remember exactly how little stuff I included in the LneageOS sideload for that. Ut may have some minimal Google libraries.)

The only thing that won’t work offline is the maps (I think.)

I see Kevin made a change 4 days ago that may help you.

Here’s the note “Screen is on, device doesn’t sleep, bluetooth on, will stay in this state as long as we have power”

In other words, if we can detect it has an external power source, the device won’t be put to sleep.

No ETA on when that change will be merged in, but it usually doesn’t take long.

The Python API has access to the internal settings on the device, you can check that out here:

You can use the API to read out the current settings and then change those.