Changing channel name and psk

Good morning to all,

today I want to get used to the channel settings, especially the name and psk.
I know, that it is possible via commandline, but I still have a question.
If I change name and psk on one device via cmd, which will generate a new link/QRcode, can I do the same modification to a second device and will the second device generate the exact same link/QRcode? And will both devices be able to communicate with each other after the change?

Have a nice day.

The second device will have a different encryption (QRCode/link) and they will not be able to communicate. You need to share the QRCode from the first device to the second device for them to be able to communicate.

If you set the same PSK via cmd/wifi on both devices, it will work like sharing the qr code.

only setting the same name in the app does not work because every app is generating its own random PSK.

Thanks for the reply.
I use a degoogled samsung S9, which for some reason can‘t read QR codes in order to use them in the meshtastic app.

In the meantime I just tested to change the change on three modules via command line in windows and IT WORKS. :slight_smile:
The devices can communicate to each other if you set all to the same name and psk.

Success

1 Like

Yes You are right. I missed that you wrote ‘using cmd’. I was thinking from the app it is not possible to set PSK and then you get different encryption even if you use the same channel properties.

1 Like

Hi there, bringing up an old thread but same topic
I’ve set 2 T-beams to use the same channel name and psk by using the CLI and --seturl command (URL taken from the first node with --info) and going to the second node and entering meshtastic --seturl command on the second node.

I can send messages, but how do I actually know that it’s sending messages over the secondary channel? I’ve used the command meshtastic --sendtext command and it only turns up on sending node. I’m not sure if the CLI is buggy and the iOS GUI doesn’t show all nodes getting the message either

There is no support for secondary channels in the phone apps

thanks garth, not even Android?

The only way to do any secondary Chanel messaging is from the CLI, which can send.

Also the web interface, isn’t it ?

It changed a bunch recently, not sure.