Bluetooth pairing - catch 22

Using TTGO T-beam with Huawei P20 Android, firmware-tbeam-EU865-0.7.9 (0.7.8 behaves the same), I am unable to pair: Android settings states “go to this device’s app to pair with it” but Meshtastic app states “Please pair device in Android settings”. A sort of s/w buck passing . .
I have two TTGO’s, neither will pair.
I have tried purging & re-installing the Android app, any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

2 Likes

When you click to pair in meshtastic, we just send the message to android “start pairing flow with device X”. That should prompt you (see the notifications menu if a dialog didn’t come up on your version of android?) to "do you want to pair with X? When you click yes, the device will show a six digit code and the phone will ask you to enter that code.

If you want to leave meshastic out of this flow, go to “android settings / bluetooth / pair new device” and you should see the device listed. Click on it and the device will show the 6 digit code and you’ll be asked to confirm on your phone.

Where did you find the bluetooth pairing code? I RTFM, but can’t find it. Obviously I’m missing something the rest of you found easily. Where is it documented?

It appears on the T-beam´s OLED display when you try to pair.
Bluetooth seems to be a bit flakey at the moment; If the BT connection is lost, I unpair & switch bluetooth off before switching on again & retrying pairing. It usually works, eventually, although several retries may be required.

Forgot to mention, shutdown & re-start the Meshtastic app too.

Great! Thanks for responding.
It seems the optional OLED isn’t so optional after all.

1 Like

Follow step 10 here. https://github.com/meshtastic/Meshtastic-device#installing-from-a-gui---windows-and-mac

You can then view the pairing code when you attempt to pair from a phone under the heading OnPassKey. Certainly easier with a screen but can be done.

2 Likes