ATAK forwardwarder for android

Until very recently the labels for slow an medium are swapped. I’m not sure what version that bug fix is in.

You’re my hero! That worked perfect!

2 Likes

Hello, can this plugin be resigned to work with the latest Apk for ATAK civ? I don’t fully understand the signing process yet but wondering if it is possible. Thank you for your work.

Awesome! Glad to make sense of it now lol. So I basically need to stop testing in my room and make sure I get a lock to keep them alive hahaha. Got it.

Being that both units were right next to each other, I did notice there was several errors, uneven rcvd vs dvrd and msgq stacked up. I’m new to this, so forgive me to asking as I’m not familiar with the protocol of how and when they’re expected to send. Is there a way I can force the checking to send any msgq or is something possible wrong with either unit that even while on the desk, they aren’t “always” communicating? Meaning the radio signal isn’t being stressed by obstructions or stretched by distance. In theory, they should report perfectly within such close proximity.

I’ll take a look at the logs if I find them and see what’s available there.

Thank you @paulmandal

Ah alright that could explain why :rofl:

Random question, does it matter if we can’t recall the passphrase, while testing, do we loss any connection ability with other units connected to the network? Psk or team name? I kinda sorta forgot the bogus phrase I made up while messing around and figured I should probably remember it at some point and not delete the data just to get it to open again.

Right now the plugin breaks the messages up and transmits each piece, if a piece is lost or errors out it will attempt to retransmit it. There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in my approach here.

How close are the radios? I think there can be issues if they’re too close but I haven’t run into it myself (during testing I keep 2-3 radios on my desk).

I haven’t tested this but I think with moving the plugin settings into ATAK’s preferences menus you will lose your settings if you wipe ATAK. However, it also means ATAK’s built in import/export settings should work with the plugin. If you have to wipe your ATAK install you can use the show QR / scan QR feature to get the channel settings back onto the wiped device.

Right now part of the signing process is manual and requires someone at the TPC to handle it so I’m trying to keep builds to a minimum for now. I have dev builds of ATAK and the plugin on my Drive link above that you can use, but it’s the latest version of ATAK from GitHub so it’s 4.2.0.0 whereas the Play Store version is a little ahead of that.

the TAK Product Center (TPC) is going to release a publicly available signing pipeline in the next 3-6 months (my guess on timeline), after that’s available I’ll be able to keep the plugin signed for the latest Play Store version of ATAK.

Super, thank you so much for the info.
Much appreciated.

Great info. I have them within a foot of each other, sometimes a bit closer. I’ll try putting one across the room and see how it responds.

Thank you

I did see more testing a few days ago and haven’t reported. Oops. Still having missed messages. But I wonder if that may be chaulked up to the firmware I’m running. Current the boards are on 1.1.48. I’m sure if that is possibly a contributing factor here.

Separate question, will the nodes forward any messages even before ful GPS lock or during a GPS signal outage?

I’m curious because I’ve noticed a few times one node wouldn’t have a lock some of the time. Though through my last test I did stick them both in the windows and they had locks the entire time, with missed messages/non-received.

Does the message have to be broken into pieces? What’s the harm in leaving it intact?

If I find the logs, would it help you if I sent them to you?

Any updates on forwarder progress?

Mine was crashing immediately on boot up

hey everyone, there is a dev build of the Forwarder up, Trackers are currently not working but everything else should: dev-builds - Google Drive

Let me know if you run into any issues! Please note you will need to set your Region in the ATAK preferences. These changes aren’t thoroughly tested yet.

2 Likes

@paulmandal do you have plans to get the forwarder compatible with version 4.3? I finally got it to load into 4.2.1, but now I can’t load hammer (the radio plugin) without 4.3. This is fun but exhausting.

Yes, I’m going to get the Tracker feature working again, do some testing + get community feedback to make sure nobody is having any major issues, and then get the plugin signed for the Play Store version of ATAK.

I’ll post another dev build here after the Tracker feature is fixed.

There’s a build signed for 4.3.1.x on my Drive link now, you can use it with the Play Store version which should also support Hammer

2 Likes

The link says, unable to open document