Anyone in Amsterdam?

Hi there,

I have the Meshtastic T-Beam device running in Amsterdam, the Amstelveen region. Feel free to send and receive messages :slight_smile: The tested coverage from my 9th floor is about 3 km in the city. If somebody will be interested, I can also activate the ā€œrange testā€ beacon mode.

In the future, there is a plan to install a better outdoor 868MHz antenna and maybe to also run the LoRaWAN gateway.

Hey! Itā€™s been a whileā€¦ And I realize that I am reviving an old thread, but this post comes up when one looks up ā€œAmsterdam Meshtaticā€ so it seems like a good place to post.

Iā€™m in Amsterdam, and working on setting up an 868 MHz LoRa mesh.

I am near Diemen, about 2 km away from the Bijlmer ArenA, and my first mission is going to be to get a connection all the way to the Arena. I do have a line-of-sight path to the top of the ArenAā€™s dome from my apartment, but I doubt I can get a LoRa up there unfortunately :joy:

Getting connected all the way to Amsterdam Centraal would be amazingā€¦ But ambitious, for sure.

So, if there are others living in Amsterdam who are also interested in building a mesh, I would love to collaborate!

Unfortunately, not near 020. Iā€™m @ Assendelft, but I can try to connect when driving past the Arena.

So far, I have only managed to get about 500 meters of distance. I have ordered some devices that use the SX1262 chip instead of the SX1276 - and I have also bought a few antennas to test. So, hopefully I can push the range close to that area.

Are you using the ā€œFast Longā€ default settings? I have had problems with this channel because I do want to connect to the Meshtastic MQTT server, and the default channel overloads my devices as it is sending way too many packets. Because of this reason, I have been exploring other channelsā€¦ This makes it tricky to run into each other ā€˜accidentallyā€™, because our settings have to be the same so that we have a shared default channel.

I would be interested in joining some form of coordinated effort. Iā€™d also be willing to set up a custom MQTT server for Amsterdam and/or the Netherlands, if there are some interested local users.

Iā€™ve been looking for a local MQTT server, but so far there are none.
There are some channels on the canvis map, but it have not been able to check these or communicate with them. They might be outdated already.

1 Like

It might be difficult to get that ā€œcritical massā€ at the early stage to make the MQTT server without getting people together first, and it might be disappointing for new users to join the server while no one is actively replying. But, still, I will give it a try soon.

I was able to extend my range to 1.2 km using my new antennas (TI.18.3113 at my home base and TS.89.4113 in the device I brought with me). This allowed me send messages from my apartment to the edge of the Bijlmer Arena (Anton de Komplein). I am still waiting for the arrival of my devices with the stronger SX1262 chips which should extend the range even further. The signal did go past some large apartment buildings, which is very encouraging.

I have created a telegram group for the Netherlands to exchange info.

view topic

2 Likes

Thanks. I just joined.

Just activated two lilygo Echoā€™s and flashed them with the Meshtastic firmware

All is up and running at 1108

Hello from Den Haag! Just to activate my heltec v3, but I canā€™t find any connectivity.

Driving through The Hague I definitely encounter nodes. Sometimes it takes some time to get connections. I myself am from Pijnacker-Nootdorp and till today no visible nodesšŸ˜©. Just hang on the network is growing day by day! Meanwhile join the FB group Meshtastic.nl and or Telegram.