Anyone care to collaborate on a UI for WiFi Chat Interface

oh yeah totally agree with your rationale - i did have a look through the codebase to get myself familiar but couldn’t see the broadcasted ap point at which point I had to pack up for the day

Also this cli command seemed to return back a missing arg error whereas --set seemed to work
meshtastic --set wifi_ap_mode true --setstr wifi_ssid mywifissid --setstr wifi_password mywifipsw

Perhaps a docs update or cli update required

1 Like

Look in meshwifi.cpp in the dev-wifi branch for the soft AP.

For the Python API, be sure you have the latest version … and it’s currently borked on MacOS. I run a Ubuntu 20 virtual machine just for the meshtastic python api.

1 Like

How are you getting on mc-hamster? I can see you’ve been commits many changes your branch.

1 Like

Just finished implementing a HTTPS server, generating ssl certificates, saving those for reuse (+ avoid browser security violations) and exposing the meshtastic internal API over REST on both HTTP and HTTPS. Hope to chat with @thepoweroftwo soon to get that working with the new JavaScript API.

Also put in some dynamic CPU frequency management to turn up the CPU when we need it most (HTTPS is very slow) and then automagically turn it back down. Added a read of the CPU frequency on the oled display so you can see it change (only if you have WiFi enabled).

Kinda putzing along, taking a “C++ For Beginners” classes at the same time to remind myself how to do a lot of the stuff on this firmware. A lot of the work done here by others (especially geeksville) is totally next level advanced stuff and I’m learning as I go. It’s really cool in here :slight_smile:

Loving the support from the people on our slack.

6 Likes

This is really exciting @mc-hamster!

This will be a much better UX for people that I usually work with. Installing an app usually requires them deleting a bunch of stuff to free up space and they are not used to configuring Bluetooth pairing.

I couldn’t help more with testing since I got really busy preparing for the trip, but I’m keeping a close eye on the progress you’re making. Great job!

For the use case you mentioned, if the device is configured to be an access point, I want to display a QR code on the oled screen. When you point your phone at the oled screen, your phone will automatically authenticate with the WiFi network and automatically bring up the web browser.

Almost all of the steps required to do that is done, just need to figure out how to render a QR code.

You and i have the same use case in mind.

2 Likes

https://github.com/anunpanya/ESP8266_QRcode

i found this on github, perhaps you can look into it and see if you can use it to generate a QR code with a Mestastic link.

Yeap, you found it. That’s the recommended library by the people who made the library we use for the display now.

Wanna take a jab at doing the implementation?

Pretty much, it would be generating a QR code with this string:

WIFI:S:< SSID >;T:WPA;P:< password >;;

Just noticed this thread :slight_smile:

I’m a little interested in a WebUI

Cross-reference: Want to help? Alpha test this build (1.1.20)

1 Like

I’m down. Who is leading this initiative?

1 Like

Go find a guy named “Charles”. He’s taking this in some new places.

@crossan007 Would be your contact.