Android beta version APK

re: analytics are scary

I hear you and I understand that feeling. That said optional analytics will be in this app for some time - mainly because 90% of fixable bug reports come in that way. Also statistics on # of users, what types of devices (and phones) they are using are super useful for the devs. If this bothers anyone, I think the slight burden of clicking the checkbox to turn off analytics is bearable. :wink:

re: fdroid

alas, the fdroid terms of service which don’t work for me are:

We cannot build apps using proprietary tracking/analytic dependencies like Crashlytics and Firebase. Please talk to upstream about an untainted build flavor (either using a FLOSS analytics software like ACRA or by removing Non-Free dependencies completely). (from here)

I used crashlytics (because it was super easy and well documented). I considered ACRA, but to do that (at the time - not sure now) I’d have to host my own analytics server. Which was more than I was able to sign up for.

That said, if anyone wanted to send in a PR to remove crashlytics and provide an alternate fdroid acceptable analytics solution I’d eagerly accept it. To enable this I made a ‘analytics provider’ interface of which crashlytics is one particular implementation.

Also, someone would need to constribute an alternative to mapbox (which we also optionally use - but is closed source)

For software to be FLOSS, the software in its entirety must be so - including all libraries and dependencies used. Additionally, it must be buildable with only FLOSS tools.

IMO - fdroid is being too dogmatic about what they will accept, but they are certainly within their rights to be so. I used mapbox for similar reasons to crashlytics - it was super easy and quick to use. But I’d eagerly ditch it if someone wants to do that. Fundamentally, I just have a very limited # of hours per day I’m able to program so I have to pick carefully.