Geeksville's current task list (now working on NRF52 fixes)

excellent work @mc-hamster

1 Like

yep - our MQTT stuff + our remote attribute API stuff + MCs internet gateway / API over TCP stuff will enable this.

1 Like

It had been a while since I checked on the analytics, usage is still progressing at a pretty good clip. Here’s the charts if you are curious:

2 Likes

My rough personal queue is now (A couple of things just slipped from Sept to Oct, because for the rest of September I won’t be coding much, because packing/moving. I should get a lot done the first two weeks of Oct though.

Octoberish:

• Done - add comments on issue 182 (gpios)
  • Done - Investigate redmi bug report in android app
  • Done - Make tbeams not sleep when they have power
  • Done - Change region into an enum and write current values - so we can stop making region specific builds
  • Done - Make python tool work with TCP API
  • Done - Chat with @mc-hamster about REST API ideas
  • Done - Finish bootloader for TTGO eink board
  • Done - Add router-mode bool preference item
  • Done - Check tbeam current draws, we might be leaving gps on accidentally.
  • Done - Audit power usage and make sure CPU is staying off almost all of the time (I suspect some sloppyness has crept in)
  • Done - Add ‘repeater/router/super-long battery life’ modes
  • Done - by @mc-hamster Let ESP32s connect to wifi (and provide API access over a TCP link)
  • Done - Review some pending PRs submitted upstream
  • Done - investigate time reporting to android app
  • Done - Make coroutine thread and switch to use it - will help with cleanup, lower latency and save power
  • Done - do android release
  • Exciting new board!
  • Make user friendly document about various optional settable parameters (router mode, times etc…)
  • Refactor the android parcelable classes so @paulmandal new android app can share them.
  • Check NRF52 reset behavior while on battery
  • Clean up screen abstraction for different UXes
  • Update power/runtime spreadsheet
  • Disable the general i2c scan to save power
  • Extract threading library
  • (@eriktheV-king I think already did this?) add some sort of hack so that if folks want to deinstall meshtastic they can change GPS to NEMA (next two weeks) #334
  • Finish NRF52 support for the RAK815 board (use Portuino to run on MyNewt OS)
  • Cleanup and generalize the code (remote attribute support, let other code widgets do things with GPIOs)
  • MQTT/internet gateway support (and let ESP32s gateway without needing a phone/PC helping). (@mc-hamster has actually taken a fair portion of this on - woot!)
8 Likes

(since I kinda use this thread as my personal todo list - I thought I’d post another update. btw - my internet sucks at my quarantine hotel, so I’ll be a bit behind on github/discourse threads until Monday)

Octoberish:

• Done Exciting new board from @Syed !
  • Done 1.1.6 alpha tester bug reports

Novemberish?

• Done! spiffs build work per discussion with @mc-hamster
  • cleanup and devplan for MQTTish items
  • Finish sw for exciting new board from @Corvus!
  • Investigate bug report by @feh123: Alpha tester thread (1.1.8 device code ready for alpha testing) 🙂
  • Done! Fix bug #513 for short range networks at speed
  • Done! Show “meshtastic.org (off to save power)” on eink screens while in deep sleep.
  • Make user friendly document about various optional settable parameters (router mode, times etc…)
  • Refactor the android parcelable classes so @paulmandal new android app can share them.
  • Add basic GUI so users can select regions, TBD if done in app or on the device screen (to allow removing region specific firmwares)

Decemberish?

• Extract/cleanup the threading library - share with portduino
  • Cleanup and generalize the code (remote attribute support, let other code widgets do things with GPIOs)
  • MQTT/internet gateway support (and let ESP32s gateway without needing a phone/PC helping). (@mc-hamster has actually taken a fair portion of this on - woot!)
  • Store and forward Text/MQTT message gateway to/from internet when connected.
  • Pinetab support (waiting on new version of hardware from pine64)
  • Clean up screen abstraction for different UXes (@mc-hamster working on stuff related to this)

Janish?

• (@eriktheV-king I think already did this?) add some sort of hack so that if folks want to deinstall meshtastic they can change GPS to NEMA (next two weeks) #334
7 Likes

Hi y’all. Alas for the last couple of days I’ve been sucked away from software because of helping with some life stuff. I should be back at things tomorrow. In the meantime probably best to not use the current alpha (ie stay with the last non alpha device release). Sorry about that…

1 Like

I made some good progress last week and the weekend (and it sounds like 1.1.7 went well). But sun through today have been sucked up with life stuff. I’ll be back to work on this fun project Thursday. I hope y’all are helping each other with questions and I assume @mc-hamster and the other devs are kicking ass.

3 Likes

@geeksville Thanks for trying to see why my gps location seems to be unable to stay fixed. I have unlinked my putty.log file now but if you need to see it let me know. Thanks

At @feh123 sorry for being late on this. Will work on this soon (hopefully this weekend). My wife wooed me into a two-week ish mostly hiking vacation. I brought my laptop but will only be doing minimal programming next two weeks.

Hi @geeksville thanks for the update but don’t miss out on anything for my issues. I appreciate you even thinking of it.
I think my problem is more about the level of sleep the gps uses. My devices running 1.1.0 last only one day on a battery. My 1.1.8 devices last three days. I guess I like the high battery use gps! I have seen this on another gps app I use - I always tick the box use high sensitivity gps on that app (iOS Cartograph Pro). Maybe such a tick box would work here too?

2 Likes

The new clean device plugin api is finished and I think pretty nice. I’ve refactored the existing app to be a set of small plugins (one for position stuff, one for text messaging, and a new remote gpio control/monitor app).

It should make it super easy for new devs to write their own plugins to use messaging for whatever they need. Only “arduino level” dev experience needed.

I’ll merge and release an alpha tomorrow (once I have more than two nodes to test with). There is also a new Android and python release that goes with this.

6 Likes

Woohoo!

Would it be appropriate to move some of the network services over? Maybe start with the DNS server followed by mDNS and the HTTP/HTTPS server after that.

1 Like

Oops… I overestimated how much time I’d be able to program today. So though I will be checking into master, no device/Android release until tomorrow.

1 Like

(since I kinda use this thread as my personal todo list/sequence - updated based on progress from the last three weeks)

Janish

• Some software work for @Syed board
  • Some software work for a new TTGO go board rev
  • DONE. Fix the tbeam entering sleep even if powered problem (possibly fixed? I’m unable to repro. I might have to ask for logs after next release if it still occurs for anyone)
  • Finish multiple simultaneous channel support (and use this to create security domains)
  • Pinetab support (partially completed)
  • Make stress test based on IP and fix “receive error -7” (when using high speed network settings)
  • Document how to use the GPIO remote API
  • Done. Marginal GPSes might just need enormous amounts of time to lock.
    Investigate bug report by @feh123: Alpha tester thread (1.1.8 device code ready for alpha testing) 🙂 - #522 by feh123
  • DONE Scrub docs/software/TODO.md and update this list of tasks.
  • DONE IP tunnel over mesh support
  • Add basic GUI so users can select regions, TBD if done in app or on the device screen (to allow removing region specific firmwares)
  • Store and forward Text/MQTT message gateway to/from internet when connected.
  • Clean up screen abstraction for different UXes (@mc-hamster working on stuff related to this)
  • I bet the final TTGO eink board will need software by the end of the month?

Febish?

• Finish sw for exciting new board from @Corvus!
4 Likes

oops, my occasionally crummy back is crummy again. So I’ll be avoiding computer use for a couple of days. I just updated the current state of my meshtastic hobby work list. Please help each other when new users have questions.

6 Likes

Please take care of yourself. Health comes first.

6 Likes

btw - my coding ‘vacation’ continues for one more day. But I should be back at it tomorrow - sorry @Syed .

Update: I was too optimistic :frowning: , I think my break from typing will need a couple more days. Hopefully back at this fun project this weekend.

2 Likes

sorry ya’ll - still not back to 100% and I’m trying to obey “no typing when back is crummy rule” - I’m super eager to get back, hopefully just a couple more days. In the meantime (or in general) @mc-hamster if you get to a point where you want to release a new alpha please do. Also your nightly build system sounds great!

Also everyone please continue help new members when they post questions (ideally by improving existing docs).

5 Likes

Sure thing. I’m working on homework tonight and will look into a release tomorrow.

Please take care of yourself.

3 Likes

ok I’m back at things now (after my2ish week break). However, I’m not going to be able to catch up on all of ya’lls cool threads. So if there are any current threads you want my help on please put an at-geeksville ping in there so that discourse will yell at me.

I’m about to check github and slack though it looks like @mc-hamster has already handled that nicely! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes