Alpha tester thread (1.1.8 device code ready for alpha testing) šŸ™‚

Hi yaā€™ll,

A new android app is out 0.7.6 for alpha testers. Mostly because I spent the day debugging various strange bluetooth and other errors you have reported:

• Yay!!! We have a new person coding on the android app @lgx just sent in a fix to add a tooltip on the mysterious connection status icon.
  • Thanks to @slavino for adding Slovak translation!
  • USB connections to radios now seems feature complete (and you can turn off bluetooth if you wish)
  • Super serious bug and Iā€™m surprised it worked as well as it did - we were keeping two instances of the BLE Gatt object around, this was the cause of the ā€œyour first message shows up twice in the senderā€™s guiā€
  • Fix a number of errors related to the set of nasty hacks I have to deploy to support the seemingly 100 versions of android BLE out there :wink:
  • Try a fix for the native-code crash which happened if you quickly scroll past the map view (mapbox bug)
  • Lower the minimum android version required to API level 21 (per someones request)

Remaining open bugs:

• Message status for messages sent while the radio was asleep is not updating properly when later the device wakes and the message is delivered (I think this is actually a device bug - but Iā€™ll investigate this weekend) I think this bug is also apparent when using the python API.
  • DSR routing is still not used for unicast messages

Hi happy to test. Very fast connection and pairing process really easy with 0.7.6. However I did fail to get a message correctly sent after radio was sleeping - reported as a bug. The send screen displayed the message with a dark cloud icon. I have a tbeam (EU868) running 0.7.4.

No message appeared on the tbeam after it reconnected to the app. A second message sent after the app had connected was delivered to the device. Both messages have the same icon - a dark cloud with a line through it. Only the second message appears on the device. I am using a Sony Z1 phone, android 5.1.1. No other issues seen.

1 Like

App Firmware - 0.7.6
Device Firmware - 0.7.4
Hardware - TTGO lora v2

Canā€™t send messages between devices but possition on map- OK. The name of other devices in mesh stayed unknown(like standalone node without pairing to app).

1 Like

App Firmware - 0.7.5
Device Firmware - 0.7.4
Hardware Available - Tbeam V1 No screen / Heltec / TTGO Lora v1

I noticed on my Andorid Tablet it will sometime send a message twice and show up on my other android phones as it being received twice. Sending from the Nokia and Android phones do not have this issue.
So far every time I send a message I get a check on the cloud on all the sending devices as soon as it shows up.

1 Like

Hmm! Thatā€™s not the positive result I was expecting for this build. Iā€™ll keep debugging :wink: Thanks for trying it.

Device Hardware: TTGO T-Beam V1.0 US
Device Firmware: = 0.7.4
App Firmware: 0.7.6

When I try to change the channel, the putty output :
Client is setting radio
Installing AES128 key!
Set radio: name=canal1, config=3, ch=9, power=23
Writing preferences
[E][vfs_api.cpp:135] remove(): /db.proto does not exists or is directory
Warning: Canā€™t remove old pref file

1 Like

That last part sounds harmless - it is just a side effect of this is the first time youā€™ve tried to change the channel - we try to make that change atomicly by doing a rename:

thanks for the reports btw - the ā€œcanā€™t connect to bluetoothā€ problem in this build was actually a GUI bug because of changes for supporting USB. Iā€™ve fixed the bug, but if you want the current 0.7.6 build to work, just briefly change to ā€œNoneā€ as your selected device and then back to your bluetooth device (it might ask you to repair)

1 Like

With App 0.7.6 I found that when plugging in USB via OTG (bluetooth and location off) it boots the app straight away (awesome!), asks for location permission (doesnā€™t turn it on though) and goes straight to the message screen. Head over to the settings page and USB is there but toggling between None and USB doesnā€™t allow it to connect. If I lock the phone and then unlock, boom, connected straight away (even when selected on None though?).

If I leave it all powered up but force close app, clear data in settings and restart the app by selecting the icon (not auto via OTG) it goes to the settings screen straight away and allows connection.

Hi yaā€™ll,

If you get a chance try both this new device release and the new android app I think you will like it. (They both work independently but if you want all the bluetooth fixes youā€™ll want both). Please let me know if it works better for you (sorry about the pain 0.7.x caused but the reason turned out to be interesting):

FINALLY! Fixed a super nasty bug in the ESP32-Arduino bluetooth library code (that I didnā€™t even realize was there). Any packets sent from phone to device had a fair chance of corruption if they were larger than 20 bytes. With recent longer packets in the 0.7.x tree this manifested as ā€œmysterious loss of bluetooth commsā€.

Other fixes:

• Donā€™t leak BLE handles (found while debugging the big bug)
  • Fix out of packet errors if stress testing on big meshes
  • Fix a hang that could occur (rarely) white trying to enter sleep
  • Messages sent while the device was asleep now get delivered again (they were particularly likely to get clobbered by this bug)
2 Likes

Device Firmware: 0.7.5
App Version: 0.7.71

I have 3 t-beams. One is connected to a phone via bluetooth. I can send a message via app, all three devices get message. But the other two Just show ā€œUsers 0/3ā€ as if they donā€™t see each other. Also they show the message as from ā€œ???ā€ instead of first letter of device name.

anyway all was working on firmware 0.7.4

I tried resetting the t-beams, it didnā€™t fix the problem.

1 Like

Device Firmware: = 0.7.4 :warning:
App Firmware: 0.7.7x (from master)

After the first Channel modification, there is this error on the device.

Set radio: name=Default, config=1, ch=6, power=23
CoCompmpleteled sending to=0xffffffff, id=24t355ed8415 s
ending to=0xffffffff, id=243558415
assertion "dead.enqueue(p, 0)" failed: file "src/mesh/MemoryPool.h", line 67, function: void MemoryPool<T>::release(T*) [with T = _MeshPacket]
abort() was called at PC 0x401081cf on core 0

Backtrace: 0x400950e4:0x3ffe1fb0 0x40095315:0x3ffe1fd0 0x401081cf:0x3ffe1ff0 0x400d6cc3:0x3ffe2020 0x400d86ca:0x3ffe2050 0x400d7f89:0x3ffe2070 0x400d7e0d:0x3ffe2090 0x4019f17b:0x3ffe20b0 0x4019f126:0x3ffe20d0 0x400d6832:0x3ffe20f0 0x400d7be6:0x3ffe2110 0x400d7cb8:0x3ffe2130 0x400d4a5b:0x3ffe2150 0x400d4a96:0x3ffe2190 0x400e2fb5:0x3ffe21b0 0x400e7985:0x3ffe2460 0x400e5f81:0x3ffe2480 0x400e63c5:0x3ffe24d0 0x400e598d:0x3ffe24f0 0x400e4085:0x3ffe2550 0x40127521:0x3ffe2570 0x40121526:0x3ffe25b0 0x400913f9:0x3ffe25e0

Rebooting...

The next time I updated the channel, I did not see this error

1 Like

App Firmware - 0.7.72
Device Firmware - 0.7.5
Hardware - TTGO lora v2

Send/Recieve messages(try only short messages) and possition- OK. Duplicating outgoing messages remained(only in app).

1 Like

thatā€™s super useful thanks.

btw - just noticed a minor bug with this release (and prior few):

It takes a little while for nodes after a software upgrade to relearn the nodedb, up to 15 min.

1 Like

Feels like on my Sony G3112 I am suddenly getting the right experience. It connects quickly and sees the three radios I have on.

Hi again

Android 7.0 phone with app version 0.7.73 upgraded through appstore
Tbeam 1.0 with swver=0.7.5, hwver=1.0-EU865
(since I changed computer, i 'm back in trouble with platformIO so I canā€™t brew the firmwares myself)

I filed a bugreport.

Pairing successful and confirmed in serial monitor, but app wonā€™t show paired devices anymore as it did fine in previous versions (I missed out on all June releases, though)

Iā€™m sharing my serial log (youā€™ll see I tried 4 times but all the same result: canā€™t connect so canā€™t test)

How wonderful! I paired another Tbeam (with M6 but itā€™s also a v1.0) and this time I managed to connect (wow! Meshtastic app displays type of radio and version thatā€™s great!)

Map display works fine as usual
Managed to send a message okay. Was received by both Tbeams.

When I get back to connection screen, my 2nd paired Tbeam still doesnā€™t show up and my active connected device shows in grey.
My logical option would be to click on ā€˜noneā€™ and then back on a paired device but when I select ā€˜noneā€™ I donā€™t get any paired devices anymore.

As a consequence, canā€™t send anymore messages.

Tried to restart phone app but canā€™t connect as I get ā€˜noneā€™ as only option.

Filed a bug report. Would have shared my serial output here but I forgot to log it, so I cleared blutooth paired devices, app cache and memory settings in android-settings-apps, uploaded firmware again to Tbeam which remains unseen by phone app, started serial log, and tried it all over again.

I paired one phone via BT before launching app. Opened app. Didnā€™t see paired BT device but got option to pair to other BT device.
Managed to fill up name and sent 2 messages which dindnā€™t show up in serial neither on any of 2 paired Tbeams.
But 5 minutes later, the users screen shows up the names of my 2 paired tbeams!
Got back to connection screen and managed to swap between both devices!
Then I managed to send one mesage through every device I connected through. And both messages got passed on through the mesh.

Then came back to connection screen, and last device connected to was greyed out; the other device name didnā€™t show up; only ā€˜noneā€™ as an optionā€¦

Though, both user names show up in the user screen.and on map screen.

As soon as i click ā€˜noneā€™ in connection screen, i get disconnected but with no other options. Filed a bug report.
Sharing my log here.
(sorry I stayed inside for this test so both gps show ā€˜badā€™, but outside they are working great!)

1 Like

thanks erik. I fixed that I think with a change (which I just pushed out in the general channel). I just checked your log.

1 Like