Adding non-Meshtastic waypoints to the map

I believe that it would be valuable to provide a way to add static waypoints to the common meshtastic map.

Hiking: Campsite, Ranger station, Water, Bathroom, Trail head, Vista, Parking
Group Event: Hotel, Meeting location, Bar, Emergency services, Bus stop
Emergencies Shelter, Water, Bathroom, Needs rescue, Road blocked, Danger
Farming: Pasture boundaries, Water, Needs maintenance, Barn
Hunting: Tree stand, Trail head, Game land boundary, Salt lick
Racing Event: Buoy location, Course turn, Course boundary
Business: Main office, Branch office, Factory, Warehouse, Customer location
Geocaching Event: Geocache location, Pick-nick area, Bathrooms, Parking

Imagine hiking and coming across an amazing location and being able to share it with your friends or posting a dangerous or blocked road during an emergency.

ICONS: https://iconify.design/icon-sets - map specific

3 Likes

It would be great to be avle to import existing positions and waypoints, possibly icons AS well.
I’d add some animal and hunting related Icons to the list

This is the kind of thing that might be best handled by other apps, using Meshtastic as a communications layer. ATAK, for example, is a geospatial collaboration tool developed by the US government for emergency responder and military use that has recently been open sourced, and there are currently efforts underway to get it working with Meshtastic/LoRa/Gotenna Mesh(Non Pro)/APRS/etc.

2 Likes

I also believe a static waypoint feature would be extremely beneficial to the base Meshtastic platform and disagree that requiring additional software like ATAK should always be necessary.

For music festivals, begin able to record and publish a static waypoint to your mesh (e.g. your campsite OR something like a stage) would be the common use case, allowing the use of the compass rose feature to navigate.

Perhaps starting with a defining a compact waypoint data format that could be relayed over the Meshtastic communication layer and compatible firmware/software would simply render this point as part of a status panel (e.g. where live node location currently displays) is how to kick off thinking.

I’m not sure yet how best to handle a TTL concept for a waypoint - this is potentially where ATAK may work better. At a minimum, a published waypoint could have an expiration time stamp.

It has been added to the protobufs, iOS can send them and the web app can receive them, they need routing code on the device.

1 Like

As @garth said, it’s a work in progress. We have the plumbing for all you’ve mentioned and need to complete the work. Any contribution toward the effort would be appreciate. We do accept PRs.

:slight_smile:

1 Like